Uncommon Type: Some Stories by Tom Hanks

A collection of seventeen wonderful short stories showing that two-time Oscar winner Tom Hanks is as talented a writer as he is an actor. 




A gentle Eastern European immigrant arrives in New York City after his family and his life have been torn apart by his country's civil war. A man who loves to bowl rolls a perfect game--and then another and then another and then many more in a row until he winds up ESPN's newest celebrity, and he must decide if the combination of perfection and celebrity has ruined the thing he loves. An eccentric billionaire and his faithful executive assistant venture into America looking for acquisitions and discover a down and out motel, romance, and a bit of real life. These are just some of the tales Tom Hanks tells in this first collection of his short stories. They are surprising, intelligent, heartwarming, and, for the millions and millions of Tom Hanks fans, an absolute must-have!



I was looking forward to Tom Hanks debut unveiling for months....having pre-paid for the audiobook the ‘second’ I learned Tom Hanks was reading HIS STORIES.
I was especially excited to ‘listen’ to Skyline High School celebrity classmate render imagery, illuminate and spotlight juicy details with a wide range of textures - feelings and thoughts. I wanted him to dramatize - flaunt - personify - exemplify all of his greatness.....and for me: he did!

I’m not sure I would recommend racing to hear story-after-story-after-story - as I did —a hungry glutton. It’s 10 hours long. I finished it in 2 days....a two day Tom Hank intensive audiothon. I didn’t think I would tire of listening to Tommy Hanks....
but I admit.... I did need a few breaks.





What stands out the most for me is HOW CREATIVE and BRILLIANT is mind is.
I’ve already shared this a few time: A few of the stories I ABSOLUTELY LOVED! And even the few I wasn’t as crazy about - they were often the stories I most admired. Hanks utilizes language - plots - characterization- emotions - gadgets - landmarks- history - foods - nature- entertainment- relationships- family - friends - and the vintage typewriter to enhance - enrich his stories.


"Ending this book" felt like the end of a wonderful relationship. The different stories blended quirky, funny, sentimental and nostalgia to bring about unique and treasured little tales. Please promise that this is not Mr. Hanks' only book of short stories. I was smitten and look forward to more.

Komentarze

  1. Książka, która chodzi za mną od jakiegoś czasu - dosłownie, mijam ją już nie tylko w sklepach ale też w tramwaju czy na ulicy! Może czas wreszcie się za to zabrać. Hanks aktorem jest niesamowitym, ciekawe jak pisze... i oczywiście, żeby się przekonać, myślę, że skuszę się na oryginalną wersję językową. Świetny post! Dzięki takim przekonuję się, że z moją znajomością angielskiego nie jest najgorzej... ale odpisać w tym języku się jeszcze boję ;)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. I adore zaglądać do Ciebie - zawsze czymś zaskoczysz !

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. U Ciebie to nigdy nic nie wiadomo ;) A to przepis na dinozaura, a to cudowanie z olejami, a teraz Tom Hanks :P

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Prześlij komentarz